Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Church of 18 Holes, and blessings through a fawn



Sunday, I was asked by a golfer if I had gone to church before I went to work. I have become less of a church-goer as I have gotten older/ matured/ grown. I'm not decided where my beliefs lie at this moment in time, but I do know one thing for sure... they lie with the Romantics-against scientific "rationalization" and value instead emotion as a means of communicating with God. (Thanks @Joel Pace for the education and understanding here).

In this way, I commune with God on a more personal level in nature, including on the golf course. Everybody laughs at me, but the animals there do become a kind of friend. I miss the fox--haven't seen here yet this year and didn't see her much last year. The geese are fun, but noisy and messy, so...

Point here, is the other night I saw a very young fawn. It was the end of my shift, I was taking a semi-scenic route back to the clubhouse to make sure nobody had snuck past me and needed a drink before I was done for the night. As I cut across the 3rd fairway, I almost drove over this little guy, who sat so still I couldn't decide if he was alive or not for a couple heartbeats. If I hadn't seen him take a couple breaths, I would have been very worried. But, no sign of him the next day. I didn't see her, but I'm sure mom was in the trees, waiting for me to leave. As tempting as it was, I did not pet the fawn, knowing that would be the worst thing I could do to it.

So, thank you to whomever is up there, for sending me an "ok" for missing church in the blessing of communing with this fawn for the most brief moment.

1 comment:

  1. What a joy to see that little fawn! We get deer through our lawn every winter, and when the fawns start following their mothers out of the woods, we know that spring is just around the corner. Thank you for sharing this encounter with us.

    ReplyDelete